Monday 29 December 2014

Looking Forward: 2015

Hey guys! 

I hope you have all had a very lovely and relaxing Christmas (or just a few lovely and relaxing days for those who don't celebrate). 

With just a couple more days of 2014 left to go, I want to set out a few sewing resolutions for the upcoming new year - it's been a year since I first learnt to sew and I feel I've improved so much. However, there is still a lot to learn and so I want to set myself a few targets so that I can keep on improving my sewing knowledge and ability in 2015. After all, if we all stayed in our comfort zone, we'd never get any better at the things we love, would we? 

So, without further ado...

My Five Sewing Resolutions for 2015

1) Create a garment from a type of fabric I have never used before. In my time as a sewer, I have embarassingly only used a very limited range of fabric - quilting cotton, knit, corduroy and velvet. So, in the new year I would like to set myself the challenge of sewing with something completely different - chiffon, wool, chambray...watch this space. 

2) Make two items of clothing which are not dresses. Readers, if you're in for the long haul I'm sure you will have noticed I almost always wear dresses. Jeans are just NOT my thing. However, if I had a handmade top to accompany my jeans I'm wondering if my feelings towards them may be a little more accomodating. So, because since beginning sewing I have only ever really made dresses and the odd skirt, I hereby challenge myself to sew two items of clothing in 2015 which are not dresses (for example, two tops, or a top and a cardigan). We'll see how it goes. 

3) Try at least three new sewing techniques. In the year I've been sewing, I'm pretty confident that I've managed to learn all the basic skills that are required to sew a garment. However, I've not pushed myself for a long time now to try anything new, simply perfecting the techniques I know already. Therefore, this year I would like to make some clothes which feature: buttonholes, tucks and princess seams. These are three things I would love to feature in my wardrobe but I've never attempted, so hopefully this upcoming year I can learn how to do them. 

4) Make at least three garments from vintage patterns. I've had very little experience with sewing vintage, having only made one dress from a 50s pattern which, I have to admit, I almost never wear. The lack of knowledge of sewing vintage meant it just didn't come out right, but I would love to be able to practice and create true vintage pieces that I can wear everyday. So, that's my fourth target for 2015 - three vintage garments. 

5) Sew with a pattern from an Indie Designer I have never used before. Just recently I've got stuck in a bit of a rut with my pattern choices. My signature style is coming on really well and I couldn't be more pleased with it, but having the exact form of sillohuette all the time as well as the same colour palette is getting a little dull. So, this year I want to branch out, look for Indie Pattern Designers I haven't bought from before and try something totally different. After all, what's the use of sewing our own clothes if we can't experiment? 

And that's it, my five sewing goals of 2015. Now, I also challenge YOU, my lovely readers, to set yourself some sewing goals for the new year. Comment what they are below, I'll keep a note of them and we can go through together at the end of the year and see what new things we've tried. It's good to try new things isn't it? 

For now, I wish you all a very happy, healthy and creative new year - I'll see you in 2015!

Beth x

No comments:

Post a Comment