Sunday 8 February 2015

Our Trip to Abakhan

Hello all! 

Yesterday I went on a trip to Abakhan in Mostyn with Bangor University's Craft and Sewing Society - have you ever been? It's amazing! 

I've only ever visited the Abakhan in Chester, which for my modest fabric needs has usually been pretty good. However, it doesn't even compare to the branch in Mostyn. It spans multiple buildings, one of which is dedicated entirely to knitting! Another is for dressmaking of course, and for sewers, it is pretty much heaven. 


There was so much choice it was almost overwhelming, and I spent about an hour just wandering around touching fabric randomly and sighing longingly. I'm sure you can all relate! In the end, I came away with these three choices - the top two are metre lengths of cotton lawn for blouses, and the other is a plain navy cotton for a pleated skirt. 


I also picked up a new pattern! I really love View A here, and am looking forward to picking up some suitable fabric for it when I go home at the weekend. 


Finally, I picked up some bits and bobs I've been wanting for ages. Here you can see: 2m of white piping, 10 self cover buttons, regular and ballpoint machine needles, two spools of shirring elastic and 4 belt buckles. Hopefully these will help me to embellish my garments - I am really trying to get a bit more inventive with my sewing, stretching both my skills and imagination. 

Now I am really looking forward to delving into a new project and getting my stitch on. 

I hope you have a lovely week everyone, 

Beth x

2 comments: