Thursday 10 September 2015

A Pinafore in Chambray

Hey everyone! How's it going?

I won't lie to you, I'm rather on the fence about my latest project. I saw a photo on Pinterest which I absolutely adored, but as is always the way, it seems, the finished result didn't live up to my expectations. 


Here's my finished garment - a chambray dungaree dress with buttoned straps and a front pocket. 


Here's the original photo that inspired me. It makes my dress seem a bit too stiff and matronly, I think. Perhaps I ought to go back and add more fabric to the gathered skirt? 


The fabric itself is lovely - having discovered chambray fairly recently, I've now got two projects under my belt and am sure there are more to come (I would love to make my own Sewaholic Granville Shirt in chambray, but I know that's pretty advanced stuff!) 



I made a buttonhole on each of the straps so that I could adjust them depending on whether I wanted them to sit straight or crossed. I like both, but I think crossed is probably my favourite, as they feel more secure that way. 


I added the first patch pocket I've ever made onto this pinafore! It's not the neatest execution ever, but I don't think it's bad for a first attempt. Dungarees with big front pockets are one of my favourite things ever. I keep an odd assortment of things in mine, usually a comb, my little tin of Vaseline and some notes jotted down on paper. 

I'm not sure how much wear this pinafore will get, but I'm planning on going back for a big unpicking and restitching session, to make the adjustments I think it needs to make it feel more wearable. I think I should add more fabric to the skirt, to achieve more of a drape, and some buttons at the waist like in the Pinterest photo. Hopefully it will end up as a garment I love to wear! 

Have you made any garments you feel unsure about recently and, if so, how do you think you can fix them? 

Beth x

10 comments:

  1. Beth, this is beyond cute! I love the way it looks and I'm thinking the only thing you can do to really improve the look (in the realm of cuteness anyway) is to add some sort of ornament to the belt, like it was done in your inspiration photo. A set of decorative buttons or a small bow maybe? You could also overlay your belt with a piece printed fabric... If there is anything missing, that would be it, in my opinion. But it is really great with or without it! You look lovely. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Klara! You've made me feel a lot more confident about it :) Perhaps it is wearable after all! <3

      Delete
  2. Are you kidding me! This is sooo cute! I mean - I'd buy that!!
    I think it looks fantastic and really I share the opinion of lovely Klara, adding buttons to the waist would make it that much cuter!
    And I really liked the straps crossed - super cute!
    You look adorable in it! Amazing work!
    Much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you mona! that's so lovely of you to say. i'm so pleased, perhaps i was just looking at it too critically? i feel much more confident about it now, thank you so much <3

      Delete
  3. It looks great! Such a cute outfit and I don't think it needs any adjusting! What about adding some tab details on the sides of the waistband like Sewaholics Hollyburn skirt? X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually a big fan of pinafores but this looks really good! I like the skirt as it, I think more fabric would turn it too twee. Definitely add buttons to it. I think you're going to get a lot of wear out of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaitlyn! I think I am just going to add buttons and leave everything else as it is - I think I was just being overly critical :)

      Delete
  5. This looks really nice! Maybe it just needs a heavier fabric next time you make it, and I would highly recommend a next time! :) x

    ReplyDelete