I've heard it said that you're not a proper sewer until you've completed your first vintage sewing project. Well, here's mine!
I used Simplicity 1459, which I picked up for £10 at a vintage market I visited on Saturday in my town's civic hall, but I made quite a few changes!
Firstly, when tracing the pieces I shortened both the bodice and the skirt significantly. The bodice piece originally was sitting around my hips, and the skirt pieces reached my ankles! Clearly, women in the fifties were about two feet taller than myself. Then, I decided to leave off the neck facings and the sleeves, instead choosing to bias bind the raw edges. Finally, I didn't bother adding the collar which came with the pattern, in an effort to simplify my first vintage make. Next time I make this dress though (there will definitely be a next time!) I think I might make the collar, just to see how it turns out.
I love the buttons up the front. I found some on my local market which matched absolutely perfectly with the fabric I'd chosen!
The only thing I was left slightly disappointed with was the fullness of the skirt. I assumed thanks to the pattern illustration and the many, many pleats, that the skirt would be big enough on it's own to not require a petticoat, but it just hangs flat. I don't really like the straight up and down look, so I've dug a fluffy crinoline from out of the depths of my wardrobe which helps to add the fullness I wanted.
So there we have it! A qualified sewer at last, one vintage pattern under my belt. I assure you it won't be long till the next one!
Hope you are all having a lovely week,