Saturday 16 August 2014

Vintage Spoils

At last! I am finally the owner of not one, but two beautiful vintage patterns. 

Wow, am I a happy sewer. Today I went to a vintage fair in my local civic hall. Having never been to one before, I was a little bit worried it would be a massive let down - bits of old overpriced junk that no one really wanted. But, thank goodness, I couldn't have been more wrong. The minute I stepped through the door it felt like I'd fallen through a gateway into the past. I actually turned to mum and exclaimed, 'I feel like I'm in the parish hall from Call the Midwife!' 

The whole room was full of stalls displaying the most beautiful vintage finds and handmade goods, all of which was being sold off at incredibly reasonable prices. I couldn't believe my luck! 

My first purchase was a two metre long string of bunting for decorating my room with at university (I've been accepted! I start on September 21st!), which cost only £4 and is made from the most gorgeous fabric. I also then chanced upon a vintage Liberty silk neckscarf, which I already adore and have been wearing all day! 


My mum then spotted a pile of vintage suitcases, and I immediately got very excited! I've been looking out for a retro style suitcase for months that I could use on weekend visits home once I've moved to uni. I came away with this one: 



It's about seventy years old, made around the time of the Second World War, and according to the lady who sold it to me, was originally owned by a woman who used it as her night case in hospital when having her children. Those children then went on to use the case when having children of their own, and these grandchildren of the original owner carried the case into hospital when having her great grandchildren! It has so much history, I feel privileged to have the honour of owning this case next, and will take good care of it until the time comes to pass it on to it's next owner. 

And finally, the moment I'm sure you've all been waiting for - vintage sewing patterns! My mum found the stall selling these just as we were about to leave, and got all excited once she realised what they were. She doesn't sew, but even so, she could see and appreciate how special they are, and knew that I'd love to have a rummage through. 


I picked up two. On the left is a 1985 skirt pattern which I bought for £2, but the one I'm really thrilled about is the one on the right - 1950's heaven. I'm wasting no time cracking this pattern open. I've been on the look out for a vintage pattern like this for months; a fabric shopping trip has been scheduled for Tuesday! I've also decided to make a toile for the very first time, as the pattern is three sizes too big for me so there should be a lot of bodice fitting issues to address. I love this pattern so much, I'm determined to take my time over it and make sure it's given the effort it deserves. Whilst at the fair I also picked up a few vintage buttons, they were so lovely I just couldn't resist!

So, there we have it! My first visit to a vintage fair! Now I know what treasures can turn up at events like these, be sure it will not be the last I attend - going was worth every penny. 

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend. Have you had any vintage finds recently? 

Beth x

No comments:

Post a Comment