Saturday 15 August 2015

Muse Jenna Cardi

Hello again! 

You're probably getting sick of my relentless summer sewing project updates by now, but I have unashamedly returned to share my first ever sewn cardigan - Jenna from Muse Patterns. 


My finished piece is by no means perfect, but I love it nonetheless! I used a beautiful lilac jersey from Guthrie and Ghani, which although may be a tad bit on the heavy side for this project, was perfect for my first attempt as it wasn't too fiddly and drapey to work with. 

As you can see in the photo above, the hem band doesn't quite line up either side of the button band, but I'm not quite sure why! I suspect I should have a put a button directly in line with the hem band seams, to match them each side of the placket. For my next version I will try to match it up more carefully. 


The pattern has a lot of options - for my version, I chose waist length with three quarter length sleeves and no gathering at the yoke. I like the way it turned out, but with summer sewing coming to an end, I think if I attempt this pattern again within the next few months, I would make a hip length, long sleeved version. 


The buttons I used are so cute! Little shiny blue ones that my mum bought me from Cath Kidston. I've been waiting for well over a year for the perfect project to use them on! Since I upgraded to a machine with an automatic buttonhole feature, I've learned to love buttons, and they've started to make an appearance on many of the garments I sew. 


Jenna also looks nice unbuttoned, which is my usual preference for cardigans (and doesn't draw as much attention to the wonky hem band!). I topstitched the hem band, neck band and button bands in a small zip zag stitch, which I think adds a lovely decorative touch. 


For my first attempt at a project of this nature, I am really pleased at how it turned out. I can definitely see this cardigan working its way into my regular wardrobe rotation, hopefully seeing me through to at least early October before I put it away till the spring. 

Tomorrow I'll be blogging about my By Hand London Flora, so feel free to come and join me again then! 

Thank you for following along, and happy sewing :) 

Beth x

3 comments:

  1. I am not getting sick of the posts so I am sure no one else is! you have had a very productive summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you, that's nice of you to say :) i hope you are having a good summer

      Delete