Wednesday 17 June 2015

Broderie Anglaise Belcarra Blouse

Hello everyone, how are you all? 

I've just finished my fourth Belcarra Blouse from Sewaholic Patterns, and it certainly won't be the last! 


For this version, I chose a white broderie anglaise fabric which has been in my stash for ages - I think it was an Ebay purchase from when I first started sewing. Since the fabric has a slightly sheer quality I fully lined the whole blouse, which I achieved by cutting out all the pattern pieces in both the main fabric and lining fabric, then just treated them as a single layer when sewing. For my first attempt it worked really well and is very effective! 


I love the way the Belcarra looks on me, although the wide neckline was something that really bothered me on my first version. It never seemed to fit quite right on me and I hated the gaping. At a loss of how to solve the problem, I decided to just pinch a wedge of fabric out of the neckline at each shoulder and sewed it into a dart - probably very unorthodox but it worked! I've made the adjustment on every Belcarra I've sewn since and like the way the pattern sits on me much better now. 


Here's an untucked picture just to show you, which is how I would wear the blouse with jeans - in the top pictures I'm wearing it tucked in with my awesome new shorts (not handmade I'm afraid...they were from New Look). I think this blouse will be absolutely perfect for the coming summer months as it's a light piece which should keep me cool. 


Have you sewn anything new recently? I'd love to see! 

I hope you all have a lovely week, and thank you very much for reading. 

Beth x

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Really like the fabric - it looks so nice and cool. I also find some necklines too wide, so I have folded in a dart-like wedge on the pattern when cutting out - seems to work!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds loads easier than adding the darts in after i've already sewn up the top - thanks for the tip! :)

      Delete